One of the most requested features ever has arrived. We worked for months to prepare Homarr for this update and we're happy that we can finally provide you a viable solution today.
Highlights at a glance
- 🚀 Completly overhauled authentication system with user management
- ✨ Improved UI for boards (renamed dashboards to boards).
- 💻 Server side preferences -> Dark mode and language are not synced accross all your devices
- 🔗 Invitation links to easily onboard new users
- 👥 Overhauled board management with easy control if anonymous users can view your board
- 🧠 AI assistant on the documentation to answer your questions: https://homarr.dev/
- 📝 Overhauled notepad widget with a complex graphical editor that enables easy editing right from your browser.
- 🌐 Live Translation on Crowdin that enable you to directly translate using images to see what exactly you're translating
- Added mounting point
/datafor your database
- Require at least one administrator account on your instance. An onboarding process will automatically set this up.
- We've added analytics to the documentation and Homarr itself. We use Umami Analytics which collects anonymous data exclusively and protects your personal data rights. You can disable this using the environment variable
DISABLE_ANALYTICS. More information here
Changes in detail
One of the most requested features ever has been authentication. We've completely removed the
EDIT_MODE_PASSWORD and replaced it by a secure authentication system that enables you to manage multiple users easily. We will allow for more detailed permission and user management soon. LDAP and OIDC integrations are currently also in progress and will arrive in a future version.
New dashboard layout
We've updated the dashboard user interface slightly to an updated design.
Server side preferences page
Previously, preferences were stored per dashboard and applied to all users. In this release, we moved this page to a separate link and store this on the server. This means that regardless what device your on - your preferences will stay the same when you're logged in.
Invitations for new users
Tired of creating user accounts by yourself? With the new "invites" feature you can invite new users by simply sending them a link. This link is valid only once and must have an expiration date - more info on that in our documentation.
Additionally, you can deny users, that are not logged into an account, to access your board with a simple toggle:
New "boards" page
Previously, dashboards were managed in an ugly and hard to control popup. We've moved this now to the new management pages as well and it's now much easier to control:
Read-only for non-administrators and guests
Yes, managing access to your dashboard is now much easier! Guests and non-administrators cannot edit your dashboard in any way (edit is hidden):
This is not an definite solution and will be significantly improved in an upcoming update.
We are aware that this update has many breaking changes and may confuse some users. For that reason, we updated our documentation and will enhance it further within the next few weeks. We've also added this small button at the bottom of the page were you can ask your questions to an AI assistant: